Do you want to rebrand a blog? Here is a checklist to reduce the overwhelm and cover the legal, social, and on-site aspects of a blog rebranding campaign.
Reasons to Rebrand a Blog
Do you ever just love something so much and later ask yourself, “What was I thinking?”
Are you purchasing an existing site?
Have you decided to go in a new direction with your site?
Is it your site’s “next step” to become a part of something bigger?
These are all reasons to rebrand a blog, though many more can lead to a rebranding campaign. Below is a list to help you tackle the blog rebrand transition.
How to Rebrand a Blog: A Checklist
Most everyone knows to make sure the domain is available. Many know to check social media handle availability.
But what else? Oh, there’s a lot more to do to make sure your income, followers, and documentation aspects are covered.
Get a copy of the “How to Rebrand a Blog Checklist” (there is no opt-in required). If you do want to receive a once-weekly email filled with actionable blogging tips, sign up.
But hey, let me prove to you I’m worthy of your inbox. Oh, and you will get access to the *really popular* Resource Library filled with many guides and checklists…
Get Free Access to Our Resource Library!
Branding (the Fun Stuff)
- Site redesign
- Business cards
- Replace previous mentions of blog name within in content (find and replace for virtual assistant)
- Update printables
- Update all sales landing pages for active and promoted products
- Newsletter images and branding – Spend some time here to create an awareness campaign specifically for newsletters so people do not mark them as spam!
Technical Aspects of a Blog Rebrand
- Purchase domain and variations
- Set up new email addresses for the new domain
- Notify Google with a name change
- Update the blog details in theme (Genesis or child)
- Update contact forms and contact information on site
- Hire someone or know how to set up a mistake-free site redirect
- Add the new domain into the search console or webmaster listings
- Submit a new site map and site links to search consoles or webmaster tools for Google, Bing, Yahoo and other major search engines (determined in Google Analytics)
- Notify host of name change for all documentation (mailing address, for instance)
- Before the redirect, purchase and set up Social Warfare (share counts will be transferred to new domain; no loss of social proof)
General Business, Legal, and Monetary Concerns
- Business license or incorporation documents updated
- PayPal, Stripe, WooCommerce, and other payment portals
- Banking for business accounts
- Website documentation (mailing address with host, contact form, etc.)
- New: Notify your ad network of the change
- Update influencer network profiles and affiliate programs (including Amazon Affiliates)
- Update copyright in footer (old and new names should appear), policies and disclosures pages, and the Amazon Affiliates disclosure statement (if you participate)
- Save and document all costs associated with rebranding for taxes
- Update signature and sign-off on emails
Social Media Rebranding
- Check availability and secure new handles
- Re-verify site with Pinterest
- New: Re-apply for rich pins
- Change Page and Group names with Facebook
- Update profiles
- Pin awareness notifications to tops of feed (or make it a profile header for a transition duration)
- Update any and check all redirect links work from social media into your website (shops from Facebook, any programs like Reward Style or Link in Profile, etc.)
- Don’t forget YouTube (including your site watermark)
- UPDATE: learned from experience… be sure to update your Facebook group’s questions (if you utilize this feature)
Social Awareness (Reader-Facing)
This is the most important group, so developing a plan to notify and remind existing readership of the change is tantamount.
- Multiple notifications to current readership and customers
- On-site (header, sidebar, resource libraries, work with me, about me, etc.)
- Social media
- Product customers
- Pinned notification on social networks notifying them of the change (pre-launch)
Social Awareness (Partner-Facing)
- Press release to priority partners
- Update Media Kit
- Notify partners currently under contract for work
- Update influencer profiles and affiliate programs to avoid non- or delayed payment
- Contact affiliates (for your products)
- Update profiles for selling platforms (Amazon seller, Amazon author pages, or electronic product sales platforms)
- Read through Google’s tips on moving a site with URL changes.
- Determine if rebranding your blog is the right decision.
- Peruse this article on how to rebrand without losing followers.
This checklist to rebrand a blog will help you work through the tasks associated with this change. Give this a pin to your favorite blogging board to elevate everyone!